Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Spring Rodeo Avoidance Tips

Hello Everyone,

Wow it has been a long time since I have been on this Blog, I almost forgot about it ;-)
Well I am going to try to be a little more diligent with using it so I can kind of stay in touch and keep you all updated on my adventures around the globe with horses and skis and family and such.

Needless to say a ton has happened since my last reported sighting but the thing I am most happy about is that we are expecting the stork to deliver us a little baby boy near the beginning of July. Woohoo a new little skiing and horse riding pardner! I can't wait, this kid has been kicking up a storm while slouching away his days in the womb. He wants out, his brother wants him out, I want him out and Mom well she's getting there and sister will make up her mind when he gets here. As expected we are all super excited! Well now I am just rambling so let me get to the point of why I am writing this piece.

It is Spring and we all want to go get our trusty steeds off the winter pastures and saddle up and ride off into the sunset just like we left off at the end of last summer. Well you just might want to slow your roll and think about a little Spring Cleaning first, not only of the Tack Room but of your horse's mind too. Chances are that while over the winter days of looking for every blade of grass to the plush pastures in bloom right now that riding kind of took a back seat and this human/equine partnership is not quite as cool as the other four legged fly swatters all around them.

Before my first ride of the Spring on a horse, that I may have not touched in a few months, I like to do a little fence work in addition to the rest of my Pre-Ride Safety Check. I also like to do this fence work to colts I am starting and when reeducating horses that may have had a difficult past as well as any other time I feel it may benefit the horse and keep me safe.

Here are some pictures and descriptions of some of the fence work I like to do. This is much easier to do if you have already taught your horse how to step up to the fence and position themselves for you to mount.

Things to note: I have the lead end of my Mecate Rein draped over my left arm so when the horse decides to leave I still have contact. I am never pulling on the reins or making my horse stand still because I want my horse to have every option possible for their comfort. The horse is completely loose and always has the option of leaving without punishment or discomfort. Also remember that timing is everything and the biggest reward is release of pressure or when the feeling of discomfort ceases.



Image #1: I really like to have a nice fence to stand on, this way the horse can see me in the same position as if I was sitting in the saddle and over them as well if the horse decides it needs to move his or her feet quickly to feel safe or more comfortable then they can do so and I am not in risk of getting hurt or falling off. Standing safely on the fence I can reach over and create some commotion on both sides of my horse. I like using my rope  and saddle strings to lightly bounce all over my horse as well as pick up the stirrups on both sides and let them flop around. I also slap the saddle a bit to create a scary noise. If the horse gets scared and squirts off then just re-set your horse along the fence and continue the progress all the while making sure to give lots of praise and reward when your horse gives effort to standing calmly.



Image #2: Create a loop with your Lariat and slide it over the horse's haunches letting the rope rub them all over their hind legs and rear end. It might be a little scary at first but boy you will sure be glad when that brush or the hidden wire in the grass gets ya!



Image #3: It is a good idea to toss a few loops over them as well so they can see something moving over them quickly. You never know what can happen on the trail especially when those low hanging branches decide the path was the best realty.

Image #4: Bringing the rope back into the coil is also great for them to see something coming towards them and to look to you for confidence. Nothing like a scary snake on your ride just to brighten the day :-)



Image #5: Using the fence provides a great opportunity to throw a leg over while still standing on the fence. If horse squirts off then you are still safely standing on the fence. Which is a nice feeling!

Well I hope this gives you all some ideas of how to help create an enjoyable first ride of the spring instead of the neighborhood's first Rodeo. Remember its all about Safety, Safety, Safety and then you can have your fun. Perform your Pre-Ride Safety Check and go ride off into the Wild Wild West on your trusty steed!!

Look for the RMH Summer Horsemanship Series info and dates to be released soon!

Until next time,

Be Safe & Have Fun,

Joe Turner

PC: Klaudia Turner



No comments:

Post a Comment